Neurontin is administered as a combination therapy to control or prevent seizures in persons older than three years. The drug is popularly regarded as an antiepileptic. It also relieves adults of neuralgia. Neurontin is available in tablets, capsules, and liquid solutions.
Dosage & Administration
Gabapentin is available in different brands. So, if the physician changes the strength and brand that you’re ingesting and the strength, the dose will also change. Ensure you read the instructions in the medicine guide.
Neurontin can be ingested with fatty food or on an empty stomach. But capsules and tablets must be swallowed, not chewed. Utilize a syringe or calibrated medicine device to measure the correct quantity of liquid solution. Avoid using an eating spoon because it won’t give the correct measurement.
When dividing Gabapentin tablets, ensure to consume each half at the proper time. Discard an unused half-tablet after twenty-eight days. Don’t discontinue Neurontin without informing a physician because it requires gradual weaning to prevent any adverse effects.
Shingles Complication (Postherpetic Neuralgia)
Below is a treatment schedule for Postherpetic Neuralgia:
- 300 milligrams once on day one
- 600 milligrams shared into two portions on day two
- 900 milligrams shared into three portions on day three
- Up to 1800 milligrams can be administered daily for pain relief.
- Patients aged three to eleven years should start treatment with 10 to 15 milligrams per kg daily. The physician will share the dose into 3 portions.
- Patients aged three to four years may ingest a maximum of 40 milligrams per kg
- Patients aged five to eleven years may ingest a maximum of 25 – 35 milligrams per kg
Note: The space between each dose shouldn’t exceed twelve hours.
Treatment schedule for patients twelve years and above:
- 300 milligrams once on the first day
- 300 milligrams twice on the second day
- 300 milligrams thrice on the third day
Maximum dosage of 2400 mg can be administered daily. Also, the spacing between each dose shouldn’t exceed twelve hours.
The kidney function of elderly patients may either be low or compromised. Therefore, a consultant must administer Neurontin based on their kidney function assessment.
- Gabapentin could contain ingredients that you’re allergic to. Therefore, inform a physician about your allergies.
- To ensure safety, inform a physician about your health condition, such as:
- Kidney malfunction
- Mental health issues
- Heart conditions
- Lung disease
- Hepatic disease
- Substance abuse
- Avoid engaging in tasks that require alertness because Neurontin causes drowsiness.
- Don’t consume alcohol and marijuana while consuming Gabapentin.
- If an antacid is among your prescription, ingest it two hours prior to consuming Neurontin.
- If your child is consuming this medication, watch out for behavioral changes and contact a doctor immediately.
- If there’s an emergency, wear a bold tag that says you’re ingesting Neurontin.
- Seizures in pregnancy are harmful. Hence, pregnant women must heed their doctor’s instructions when consuming Gabapentin.
- Neurontin can be excreted in breast milk. Ensure you speak with a doctor before consuming it.
These allergic reactions might occur when consuming Neurontin:
- Swollen face
Some common adverse effects of Neurontin are:
- Speech difficulty
- Vision problems
- Difficulty in walking
Severe side effects of Neurontin include:
- Severe weakness
- Stomach upset
- Loss of memory
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Involuntary eye rolling
- Sore throat
- Mouth ulcer
- Change in appetite
- Chest pain
Adverse effects of Neurontin in children include:
- Mood problems
- Low performance in academics
- Inability to concentrate
- Behavioral changes
Consume a missed dose immediately after you remember. Don’t consume it if the next dosing time is approaching. Avoid consuming double doses at once.
Persons suffering from mental health conditions might consume an overdose. Therefore, such persons should have caregivers who monitor their dosage to ensure they are administering the correct quantity.
If someone swallows an overdose of Neurontin, call the poison control department in your locality. Some symptoms of Neurontin overdose are:
- Speech problems
- Vision problems
- Extreme tiredness
Treating a patient who is suffering from chronic kidney failure with Neurontin can lead to coma.
Gabapentin can react with the following substances:
This drug could interact with supplements and food products. Therefore, inform a physician if you’re consuming:
If you feel sleepy after consuming Neurontin, ensure you inform a physician prior to consuming other medicines that trigger sleepiness, such as:
- Sleeping pills
- Medicines for cold
Don’t ingest Gabapentin with medicine containing the same active ingredient, such as Gabapentin enacarbil. Neurotin could affect urine protein tests. Hence, inform the laboratory scientist or technician about any medications that you’re consuming.